Thursday, November 6, 2008

November 6 Music

Call me Ally McBeal. Many important memories and moments in my life have a theme song. I, in fact, have a theme song. And if you listen closely, you'll hear it when I'm nearby.

I think of our family vacation to Kauai when I was in 8th or 9th grade and the song "Let's Go All The Way" by Sly Fox was popular. I, of course was a good 4-5 years from going all the way, but that didn't stop me from playing "I Never" with some of the older kids at the resort. I was a boring "I Never" player at the time. I might have consumed about 1/2 wine cooler and that was only because someone was kind enough to throw in things like "I've never eaten dog food" (guilty- but technically they were biscuits, I mean "it". It was a biscuit).

But that song is NOT on my playlist. It just seems to be in constant rotation on the radio for some reaosn.

The song I'll share with you is Paul Oakenfold's "Faster Kill Pussycat" with Brittany Murphy on vocals.
This is the song I'd listen to right before my 7:30 am bike workouts on Southwest Parkway.
This is the song I'd listen to running hill after hill after hill during our run workouts.
This is the song I played at 5am as I drove to the Danskin Triathlon. It was dark and cool.
Its not a hard rockin' song but its got a great rhythm to keep a pace to and I think its kinda sexy. Sexy is motivating.

As I listened to the song, I would visualize my race or practice: my arms pulling me through the water; my legs pushing me forward on the bike at a powerful cadence; sweat coming down my cheeks. Fighting though the pain, the fatigue and not allowing myself to stop.
Where I really needed this song was about a mile into the run. Mind you, we can't wear headphones during the race so I had to have this song playing in my mind. My legs now wobbly and my body's frame just so tired! But triathlon is not about your body, exactly. Its about your head- and what you can make yourself do.

Yes, I had other songs in my "TriTri Tri" playlist: Cyprus Hill's "Rock Superstar," Hole's "Violet," Jet's "Cold Hard Bitch" and TV on the Radio's "Wolf Like Me," among others- but little Brittany's smoky vocals got me to the finish line.



Assignment Notes: As writers, we are trying to say what we have to say in words. However, music is a very important part of most of our lives. Pick a song from your myspace or ipod playlist and write about why that song is important to you. Feel free to add video to your post.

No comments: